Welcome to our Nursery!
To keep up to date with everything that is going on in school and in your child's class then make sure you have signed up to ClassDojo. Speak to your child's teacher if you need to know more or click here.
In Nursery we are a cohort made up of 45 children in total, ages range between 3 and 4 years old.
Within our cohort we have two registration groups the Snails and the Ladybirds.
In Nursery we have two Teachers Karen and Nicola as well as our three Teaching Assistants Caroline, Jackie and Elaine.
We have very high expectations for our children. We follow children’s interests through their play and scaffold individual learning through; whole group and individual adult interactions, storytelling, loose parts play, physical activities, early literacy in the form of stories, rhymes and rhythm and early maths in the form of understanding numbers, shapes, measurement and time.
We believe that all children can achieve their full potential and beyond by supporting and promoting high levels of well-being, building on skills that develop independent thinking, problem solving, reasoning, questioning, perseverance and resilience.
We have a very strong ‘CAN DO!’ ethos and support independence through peer support, team work and parental engagement.
We love to play and learn both indoors and outdoors in ALL weathers!
Timings of the day
8.55 - 9.00 Registration (If it is raining outside then the classroom door will be opened at 8.50)
9.00 - 11.30 Morning Teaching Sessions and Play in Continuous Provision
11.30 - 13.00 Lunchtime
13.00 - 14.50 Afternoon Teaching Sessions and Play in Continuous Provision
14.50 Home time
Please note that we run our own breakfast club every morning from 8am. Morning Just Dance club is running on a Monday and Wednesday for EYFS to encourage good attendance, punctuality and healthy lifestyles. We also run a lot of after-school clubs too! Please look at the relevant pages on our website for more details!
In Nursery we expect:
- We encourage our children to be independent thinkers through child led activities and peer support. It is also important that you support your child in being independent in their toileting, eating and dressing needs.
- Parents and Carers are vital in supporting their child's learning and development. We endeavour to establish strong relationships with Parents, Carers and Family and we have daily Parental Workshops where we model how to best support and challenge your child at home through physical development, literacy and maths skills. Once the children have settled into their environment we open our doors early on Tuesday mornings for Early Literacy Club and Thursday mornings for Early Maths Club. We are very proud of our Fitness Friday Club, that is held every Friday, which has been running for a number of years and it has proved to be a great success with parents/carers. We encourage participation from all and welcome younger siblings to also get involved.
- We believe in the power of storytelling and reading to enhance communication and language skills as well as early literacy skills. We promote the love of reading by encouraging parents to share and read books with their children. This is supported by our weekly home reading books, trips with parents to the local library and storytelling workshops within Nursery.
- We believe strongly in the importance of children ‘understanding number’ and children are exposed to numbers, shapes, space and measurement as a daily part of their routine through play and whole group sessions.
- We promote high levels of well-being within Nursery to develop confident, independent learners who are not afraid to question, persevere and challenge the thinking and actions of themselves and others.
- We value all children’s ideas and the children work as a team with the Nursery staff to enable a safe yet challenging environment.
During the day your child will have whole group time and lots of opportunities to explore and investigate their learning environments and areas of learning. Adults follow children's interests and scaffold their learning through meaningful and challenging interactions. Children take part in enabling their own environment and have access to open ended loose parts that support all prime areas including Literacy, Maths, Understanding of the World, Technology and Expressive arts and design.
Our Outdoor Provision has proved to have an enormous impact on the children’s progression in all areas of their learning especially communication and language, social interactions and physical development. It is a key part in building self-risk management skills, problem skills and resilience. We promote the use of our outdoor area in all weathers and children have the choice to play inside or outside wherever their interests take them to explore and investigate!
We promote physical development in all aspects of learning and provision through small and large loose parts play in order to develop and sustain strong gross and fine motor skills.
Children have access to a daily healthy snack and a small bottle of milk during the morning session. Throughout the day children have a water bottle labelled with their name that they access independently when and where needed.
If you would like to discuss anything further or have any questions regarding what is being covered in Nursery then please contact the office or send a message through ClassDojo to make an appointment with the class teacher.